Arbor Grove Country Cottage is located on nearly 5 acres in Newberg, Dundee Hills AVA, and in the heart of the Oregon wine country. With an hour to Portland and 200+ wineries nearby, this is truly an adventurer/oenophile's delight.
Surrounded by several acres of wooded and pastoral land and separate from the host's residence down a second driveway, the 2nd story 1 b/r apartment (sleeps 4) is available for the quoted price. A 2nd downstairs b/r (sleeps 2) is available for a nominal fee.
The sizable lodging is upstairs above our shop @ 1,000 sq ft, including one bedroom with a queen bed, a living room with a pull-out queen sofa, a fully equipped kitchen and a 3/4 bath. It can accommodate up to 4 people, though we do recommend the sofa for older children rather than adults. Since the apartment is accessible only by stairs, it is not suitable for children 0-5 years or those with disabilities.
If your party requires more than one bedroom, we have recently furnished a second bedroom and 1/2 bath on the first floor of our shop. The non-contiguous space can accommodate up to 2 people (for a total of 6 people including upstairs and down). This extra bedroom is available for a nominal fee of $35 per night, but requires a special quote after booking. Please inquire if interested.
The Living Room: Guests will find a cozy pullout sofa bed situated for best fireplace (gas) and TV viewing. A 42" flat screen television is outfitted with satellite TV, a blu-ray/DVD player and free HBO. You'll have unrestricted access to our personal DVD collection (nearly 450 titles) for your evening's entertainment. Free wi-fi and an eclectic selection of books and games/cards is also available for you.
The Kitchen: Fully equipped with a 4-burner gas stovetop, oven, microwave, refrigerator, and dishwasher. Dishes, glassware, and silverware for 6+ are provided. For the vacationing cook, a full set of pots and pans, casserole dishes and serving pieces are furnished. A coffee maker, blender, electric hand mixer and toaster complete the culinary essentials.
The Upstairs Bedroom: A comfortable queen bed with hotel-quality linens, including your choice of pillow density, ensuring a delightful sleep. An antique dresser and dual closets provide ample storage for your vacation togs. A seasonal window air-conditioning unit along with the bedroom & living room ceiling fans ensure the entire apartment remains cool in the hottest months of the year (July & August).
The Upstairs 3/4 Bathroom: Plenty of elbow room, featuring one sink with ample vanity space, shower and toilet. There is cabinetry with many shelves to stow all your necessities.
The Deck: At the entrance to the apartment is your private expansive 280 sq ft deck with a roofline (including ceiling fan) that covers half the area in case of inclement weather. A cheery market umbrella, two comfy chaise lounges, and a large round café table with chairs for four make for a lovely setting. Enjoy the valley/vineyard view while sipping some of Oregon's fine Pinot Noir. We've recently added a Weber BBQ and a propane heater to extend your enjoyment on the deck in cooler weather.
The Downstairs Bedroom: A 120-square foot room with its own separate entrance (non-contiguous with upstairs, but connected with its en suite half bath). The bedroom features a brand-new plush queen bed with hotel-quality linens, a reading nook, and is complete with a ceiling fan. The downstairs bedroom and bath are not air-conditioned, but based on their location in the shop remain cooler than upstairs. The ceiling fan provides sufficient ventilation during most of the year except for brief periods in July and August.
The Downstairs 1/2 Bathroom: A quirky space, sharing room with the washer and dryer, consisting of a toilet, well-lived shop-type deep sink and cabinetry. Bath towels for use in the upstairs shower are provided in a fun, colorful chest. A wardrobe, small hotel refrigerator and microwave round out the amenities.
Our Surrounding Property: Savor the varied experiences on property:
a) We invite you to sit a spell at the raised patio's tall bar table with four chairs enjoying the Southern pastoral views including many lovely Italian olive trees.
b) Take a moment to walk through our diminutive vineyard or sit under the majestic oak tree, wrapped in warm twinkling lights, overlooking a small pond water feature complete with waterfall and resident frogs. If the season is right you may even enjoy fresh fruit off one of our trees (apple, pear, cherry, plum or Italian prune)
c) Enjoy the use of our stone patio where you can either soak in the new hot tub or roast marshmallows in the fire pit while singing camp songs into the night, complete with logs & fire starter. Seasonal s'mores kit provided - yum!
d) Immerse yourself in quiet reflection as you sit on the stone bench or walk through the enchanting one+ acre Douglas Fir forest, complete with barn & chicken coop where, in a previous life, the goats, sheep & chickens roamed.
Acesso dos hóspedes
The property is fully enclosed and has an entrance gate that operates by a code that we will provide upon booking. Guests are able to enjoy their own private apartment and deck. There is also plenty of parking either under the deck or to the right side (North) of the apartment. Please do not block our second entrance/exit gate. Feel free to explore anywhere on the grounds with the exception of the main residence. If you choose to wander in the front yard - and please do as it has fabulous Northern vistas - just be aware that our guest and resident dogs frequent this area. So you may be required to join in a game of fetch!
Also—when making your plans, please be aware that based on our location in the valley, we’ve been told that cell phones on the AT&T network have problems with little or no cell service. Our phones are on the Verizon network and have consistently reliable 2 - 3 bar service. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
Interação com os hóspedes
We are here for you! And as such will welcome you and show you around upon your arrival. We are more than happy to provide suggestions and recommendations to the many restaurants, wineries, and local events. We live in the main house on property and are close by either tending the garden or enjoying our dogs. We are available by phone or text at all hours for emergencies but prefer 8 a.m. - 10 p.m. for non-emergencies. We enjoy interacting with guests as much or as little as our guests desire.
A Little About Us:
Hello, we're Sheri & Stan. So nice to meet you! We were born in Virginia and New Mexico respectively, but have done most of our living in Southern California while we worked in the Aerospace industry and raised two wonderful daughters.
We retired and relocated to Newberg, Oregon in October 2012. We were looking for a property with easy access to Portland, but in a rural setting where the house was downsized but the property was upsized with a second separate guest residence for future possibilities.
In 2013 we had the dream of opening our apartment, welcoming travelers from far and wide to our little corner of the world, but life had other plans. Our mom and youngest daughter made the decision to follow us from Southern California and took up residency until November 2016 - enter—albeit a little late to the party—Arbor Grove Country Cottage.
Since we postponed our vacation rental vision, in January 2014, we made use of this wonderful property and our great love of dogs by em"bark"ing on a dog care business through Dog Vacay (now Rover) - enter Arbor Grove Country Canine (see below and additional details in House Rules).
Must Love Dogs:
Or at the very least, like them! We have three adorable—and friendly—senior pups: Roxy is a 12 year old Chihuahua mix and rules the roost, Phoebe is a 10 year old Golden Retriever and a very sweet girl, Chandler is an 9 year old Golden Retriever and is as gentle as a lamb (but a word to the wise, he loves to push through your legs so he can have his bum scratched!). They are mellow members of our family who would love to welcome you "home".
We also actively participate as dog care hosts, typically only accepting three guest dogs at a time - your dog could be one of those guests! Interaction should be minimal as we have multiple enclosures in which we play and do our walkabouts.
Our wish for you, on this get-away and those in the future, is that you find the same calm and clarity that we feel every time we return home to our little piece of heaven here in the Dundee Hills.
Events in our neck of the woods (dates are approximate):
Seasonal ongoing events:
*Tunes on Tuesday: Free live music! A different band each week located at Chehalem Cultural Center courtyard, July - August Tuesday evenings
*Farmer's Market: Newberg, Downtown, Wednesday afternoons and McMinnville, First & Cowls Street, Thursday afternoons, May - October
*First Friday Art Walk: Every first Friday of the month (except in Winter) in Downtown Newberg 5 - 9 p.m.
*Willamette Valley Wineries - Open Houses: Memorial Day
*St Paul Rodeo: July 4th weekend
*Newberg Old Fashioned Festival, Downtown Newberg, July
*Brews & BBQ: Downtown Newberg, July
*Oregon Lavender Farm Tours, July
*International Pinot Noir Celebration (IPNC), July
*Art Harvest Studio Tour: Yamhill County, October
*Willamette Valley Wineries - Open Houses: Thanksgiving
- House Rules and Rental Agreement:
Please read entire 'Description' and 'House Rules' sections before requesting a reservation. We want to do our best to ensure your stay meets your expectations...
Just so there are no surprises:
1) We have three (adorable) resident dogs and also occasionally provide care for up to three additional guest dogs on property
2) We are 8 minutes outside of Newberg's downtown area so you will need a car and it is best to purchase groceries prior to coming our way
3) We have a 2nd bedroom (which sleeps an additional 2). It is in a non-contiguous space with a funky 1/2 bath, including laundry facilities, directly below the main apartment and available for an additional fee - separate from the quoted price which includes the upstairs only. If you are interested in this space let us know and we will modify the reservation to include it
When making a request:
1) Please tell us a little about yourselves
2) Provide the first and last names of each guest. Unless previously approved by us, no additional guests are allowed
3) If you are requesting that your dog join you on vacation we will need the following information at the time of the reservation: Name, Breed, Age, Gender, Size, Fixed (yes or no), Personality (a sentence or two). A copy of their current vaccinations is required prior to check-in
4) Please let us know the day before your visit what time you will be arriving so that we can be available to welcome you
- 1) Check-in time is after 3:00 pm and checkout time is 11:00 am, every day. Generally speaking we cannot accommodate a late checkout (but ask us), as proper time is needed to clean and prepare the space for the next guest. Thank you for your understanding.
- 2) Our main residence is located at the top of the driveway on the left. The apartment is located down the second driveway on the right and is on the 2nd story above the shop. There are 5 steps to the lower deck and 10 additional steps to the upper deck. Lodging includes one bedroom with a queen bed and a pullout queen sofa in the living room. The accommodations are intended for 4 individuals (2 per room). The pullout is best suited for older children versus adults. Inflatable beds are not permitted.
- 3) There is a non-contiguous space with its own entrance available: a second bedroom with a queen bed, funky shop-type 1/2 bath with laundry facility located on the first level. The accommodations are intended for 2 individuals (for a total of 6 both upstairs and down). This bedroom is available for an additional nightly fee, please inquire before use. You are welcome to utilize the washer and dryer during your stay, but please let us know your intentions so that we can ensure proper lighting and heating is available.
- 4) We love dogs! Your friendly, well-behaved dog may be allowed to join you on vacation, but please have a discussion with us first, at time of booking. There is a $10 per night dog fee to cover additional wear and tear as well as to provide a deep cleaning for the next guest. Due to allergies, cats cannot be accommodated.
- a) All dogs must be socialized and non-aggressive towards humans and other dogs alike.
- b) For everyone's safety guests need to provide proof of current vaccinations (Distemper/Parvo, Rabies & Bordetella) prior to check-in. Vet offices can electronically transfer your pup's latest information to our email, which we will keep on file. We also recommend a monthly flea application.
- c) Dogs cannot occupy the apartment without the owner present. When setting out for your day we offer a couple of options: bring your dog with you to share your wonderful adventure or she/he can stay with us for their own holiday. Connect with us through Airbnb and, depending on our availability, request daycare @ $30 for your 1st dog and half price for your 2nd dog. If daycare is added your $10 per night dog fee is waived for that night.
- d) No dogs on the bed please!
- e) Guests, along with their dog, are allowed in all the enclosures on property. For the safety of our animals, please ensure gates throughout the property are secured when/if opened and do not key in the front entrance gate code if dogs are visible on the driveway. Contact our cell phone, which is posted at the front gate, for assistance.
- f) Please respect our property and be a responsible pet owner by picking up after your dog! There is a trashcan and a pooper-scooper type shovel located on the ground floor in the shop. We have also installed Dog Waste Stations (providing disposal bags) just inside and to the right of our two largest enclosures, the tall Douglas fir trees and the pasture.
- 5) We do not rent to vacationing students or singles under 25 years of age or younger unless accompanied by an adult guardian or parent over 25 years of age.
- 6) Due to the second story lodging, the apartment is not suitable for those with disabilities or young children (0 - 5).
- 7) There is plenty of parking located under the deck or on the gravel driveway to the right side (North) of the apartment. We ask that you do not block the second entrance/exit gate. Thank you!
- 8) Please be courteous to our neighbors. The entrance road to our property is narrow so you may need to pull off to the side (in a driveway, not a ditch please!) in order for another vehicle to pass.
- 9) Damage (including smoking residue)/theft policy: We do not collect a damage deposit for nightly or weekly stays, however if linens, furniture or electronic/appliances are found missing, or your party has caused damage (including smoke residue) to the property or its contents beyond normal wear and tear, we will contact you within 48 hours of your departure to discuss the situation and your credit card may be subsequently charged the cost of any necessary replacement, repair or cleaning.
10) No matter the length of stay, a one-time only non refundable cleaning fee applies. If you cancel your reservation prior to arrival, this fee is reimbursed.
11) Our cancellation policy follows the Airbnb Moderate plan.
12) The smoking of tobacco, e-cigarettes or other products that produce a vapor or smoke is prohibited.
13) We have recently (9/17) installed a hot tub on property. Please contact us prior to use so that we may prepare it for you. We ask that you follow all 'Hot Tub Safety Guidelines', a document describing the rules, which is available in the apartment's House Manual. Be safe, use common sense and HAVE FUN!